Friday, April 27, 2012

Woods Of Ypres 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light - Review



Woods Of Ypres 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light 2012 - Earache Records


This is a very difficult record to review for me, so lets just put that out there. My story with this band is of an outsider. I found Woods Of Ypres by accident one night around 2004, which comprised of Coldest Winter Songs From A Dead Summer Heat, very much straight ahead black metal. At that time I was knee deep in the style, and liked what I heard. I was long done with radio, and went about using the Internet for finding interesting music. I would frequent Myspace, and others to gauge what was out there. Since then I've been infrequent to the hunt, but Woods made a distinct impression.

As life, and events move people around like chess pieces, and I would occasionally take a peek to see what the gentlemen were doing. I noticed that frontman David Gold was moving his sound outside of the harsh black metal style, and incorporating mellower styles into the work.

Grey Skies is all wiped of black metal, and for those following Woods for awhile know this. Perhaps I think because there was so much already out there, and having to find ones own voice in a sea of similarities is a chore amongst itself.

I feel this record is about life, and life's absurdities. What life has to offer humanity as a whole. Its a theme woven through everything we touch. David Gold I think puts this in plain perspective. Having to question passion, reasons, and why we do what we do kind of makes everything seem inconsequential.

I knew about this record before it was released, and took to following the musings of Woods Of Ypres Pain and Piss tour blog. Some insightful required for those thinking of doing the Do It Yourself approach. Its not a pretty existence, and you must love it enough to sacrifice you own pursuits. Its heavy on realism, and content.

Woods Of Ypres: David Gold Pain and Piss Tour

Overall, David's use of speaking in some of the songs reminds me of Peter Steele, and that the layering of guitar tone is very evident. A great deal of painstaking detail goes into the format, and even the cover will give the listener a different spin to the craftsmanship presented.

The album is an allegory of truths, questions, and living. I even find myself enthralled with the way David used his word prose to accentuate the music. Ultimately, David Gold will be missed by all whom he touched, toured, and chatted with. I am kicking myself for not going to see them when I had the chance. That is a regret I'll have a hard time letting subside. Thank you David for giving us Woods Of Ypres, through your legacy the music will live on.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment